Thursday, February 10, 2011

First Love and How I Ended Up at Target

Oh the magic of first love.

Mine was a product my mother used by Merle Norman. It was a pink facial mask that you would put on your t-zone and promised to clear your skin and make all your woes fade away. I loved the smell. I loved the texture. I loved how I would put the mask on my skin and it would dry into a crinkly, pink hard shell.

I was 4.

The magic has since continued.

I used to spend a lot of cash at the department store counter hoping beyond hope that their products would clear my skin and make me the gorgeous, flawless person I was pretty sure resided within, underneath the acne. I tried Clinique, Philosophy and others to name a few. And the stuffs not cheap. A lot of my extra college cash went to paying for products that didn't work, which made me spend a ton more money on concealers and foundation.

Guess what? I still looked like crap.

Fast forward a couple of decades and I now have my skin care routine down to a Target run.  I'm 40-ish, have an olive complexion which is prone to breakouts, which I treat, which then leads to dry skin. I imagine you know the drill. Here are the products I have found I cannot live without. Pick them up and I'm sure they'll make a difference in your life too.

By the way, this is the Holy Grail to improving your skin.

For cleansing at night I use Cetaphil. I have had several doctors tell me this is the best cleanser that won't cause dryness. They were right, I'm not sure why it took years before I listened to them. Maybe because it costs less than $10?


In the morning prior to putting on my foundation (MAC Studio - more on this in a following post) I use Boots Sensitive Skin Lotion. I have never had a break out from this product nor have I had any issues with it making my foundation appear oily halfway through the day. This lotion doesn't contain an SPF, but in the winter I'm more concerned about getting some Vitamin D than I am about skin cancer. This lotion is also under $10.


The coup d'etat of my skin care regimen is Neutrogena Rapid Clear Fight and Fade gel. I cannot even begin to tell you how awesome this product is - I noticed an immediate improvement of clearer skin, less breakouts and blackheads. Seriously. Prior to this product I would fire up my heavy duty all seeing 10X magnifying mirror and pick away (I know, EW, but true). Not anymore. My skin looks great, isn't dry or red and scaly as it becomes when using prescribed RetinA. Again, less than $10 at Target and I highly suggest you run out and buy some RIGHT NOW if you're suffering adult acne. 


There you have it. A perfect skin care routine for less than $30 and all conveniently located in your nearest Target's aisles.  

Tomorrow: looking for the perfect mascara. This will be a Friday series. I don't have the answer yet, but I know it's out there, waiting for me to find it. Perfect Mascara, oh Perfect Mascara, the most important of makeup tools, where are you? And, more importantly what's your brand?

No comments:

Post a Comment