Monday, March 21, 2011

Is There A Team 'Jodi Piccoult'?



I'm reading Piccoult's newest, "Sing Your Way Home" on my fabulous, best Christmas gift EVER, Nook.

I've read all of Piccoult's work because she's timely, intriguing and easy. Sometimes easy is nice.

But then, it gets ROUGH. (Are you catching my plagarism from Ike and Tina?)

I started "Sing" late at night next to my snoring hubby. I figured I'd read a little, relax, turn out the light and call it good.

It was NOT good. The beginning chapters of this book are so compelling, so wretching I found myself holding my breath. This coming from someone who is usually too lazy to be bothered with emotion while reading.

Then I was crying. What the hell?

I FINALLY shut down the Nook 100 pages into the story because it was 1 AM and Christ I need my sleep already.

THEN I proceed to dream about what I had just read. I dreamt I was pregnant. With a boy (cue husband's excitement), except in my dream I was less than thrilled. And due to my husband's vasectomy I was slightly puzzled about paternity.

But, I digress.

I woke up feeling disturbed and bothered, so of course I picked up the book as soon as possible and now I'm hooked.

Piccoult writes in different character voices and her topics are timely and on-point. Almost so observant and poignant it makes me wonder how she does it? Then I came up with the conspiracy theory that she doesn't. She has a team. This is why the differnet voices - who can tell the author? It also explains how she is so prolific while other authors of her ilk take a few years to produce new work.

The jury's out for me on this one. I am certainly thinking about it when I'm not reading. I'm looking forward to bedtime tonight when I can get back to the story and I have no idea how this one will end (downside to the Nook, I can't read the final chapter first, which I like to do with 'real' books).

I give this a thumbs up, but it could wait until the paperback is out. Or not.

If you want to wait and guarantee a great summer poolside read, this may be a book to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment